Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church is a worshiping, learning, witnessing, and serving community of baptized persons, among whom the Word is proclaimed and the Sacraments are celebrated. All are welcome!
Join us at:
183 William Street, Portland, CT 06480
Call us: 860-342-2860
Write to us: P.O. Box 202, Portland, CT 06480
August 14: Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
2022 Summer Booklet
August 14: Readings and Announcements
August 14: Joseph of Arimathea: Take Home
This Sunday, outdoor worship.
Artisan Showcase committee meeting following worship.
Beginning in July, a new worship series, Faces of Our Faith, focusing on the Bible’s lesser known stories. Using visual art and prompts for reflection, we hope to dig deep into the worlds of these people.
IN PERSON WORSHIP: A recording of the service will also be posted on
Zion’s Youtube Channel, on Monday morning
Work Day at the Church: August 28, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Sign up for Walk The Walk in support of Camp Calumet
See Readings and Announcements
THIS SUMMER: Outdoor worship, June 12, July 10, August 14
see details below. Other Sundays, worship in the sanctuary.
- Link to BULLETINS, including upcoming service.
- Link to OUTREACH, church newsletter
- Link to Guidelines for In Person Worship
- Link to Zion on Facebook
- Link to Easy Ways to Donate to Zion, including PayPal
- Link to Other Ways to Donate to Zion: Scrip & Amazon Smile
Upcoming events & news items listed below. See Outreach for complete calendar and event details.
- June 12, July 10, and August 14: Summer Worship on the front lawn in front of the Fellowship Hall (weather permitting). Bring your own chair(s), the more comfortable the better! Bring a hat, sunglasses, water, anything to make you comfortable, especially if it’s sunny and hot.
- July 1-August 31: Walk the Walk in support of Camp Calumet, see bulletin.
- Beginning in July, a new worship series, Faces of Our Faith, focusing on the Bible’s lesser known stories. Using visual art and prompts for reflection, we hope to dig deep into the worlds of these people.
- August 7: Deadline for Youth Contest: Design a Zion tee shirt. See Readings and Announcements
- August 14: Artisan Showcase committee meeting, 10:15 a.m.
- First and Third Sundays: Sunday School, following worship, contact the church office for details. On summer hiatus.
- Second and Fourth Sundays: Bible study, 10:15 a.m. following worship. Season Two of “The Chosen,” all welcome to join at any time.
- September 11, 3-5 PM: Artisan Showcase. Meet and chat with Portland artists of all levels and abilities from professional to hobbyist. Watch a spinning wheel demonstration. Original paintings and drawings, as well as photography, ceramics, textiles, folk art, wood carvings, collages, jewelry, and homemade jams and jellies will be showcased and many for sale. Silent auction and light refreshments. Free and open to the public. Proceeds to benefit lounge renovation project.
- Any time: Drop off collected pull tabs for Ronald McDonald House in the Red Box. Grace Guild will deliver them in the near future.
- Anytime: simple donations to Zion can be made through the purchase of Scrip gift cards, and by signing up for Amazon Smile. Details here
- Pocket Prayer Quilts: Elaine Cote has been making tiny (2″x2″) Pocket Prayer Quilts with a tiny angel inside. Pocket Prayer Quilts are a symbol of God’s love and remind us throughout the day that we are not alone. If you would like one, contact Pastor Sara at 678-882-9011 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the church office at 860-342-2860 or email@example.com
- Anytime: Cookbooks still available, $12 each.
Due to the pandemic, the office is closed to visitors, but if you need pastoral assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to 860-342-2860, or to Pastor Sara at 678-882-9011 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Church office hours : Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., except that the office is closed on Fridays during the summer months.
Call for information if you would like to learn more or if you are interested in becoming a member. 860-342-2860.
Members of Zion: Click here for information about Zion’s transition effort, a copy of the congregational survey (CAT), and a summary of the Holy History event.